Thursday 3 May 2012

Material Matters


Since the textures are roughly blocked out I have been beginning to learn about using the mental ray materials within maya to build shaders for the final model. I'm finding it a bit tricky to get my head round some of it but starting to make a breakthrough. I decided to use the window shot as a model for testing this out. this is because I have a range of textures in it and is at present the only shot where you really see the textures up close. At present I am focusing on how to get a realistic glass texture which I can apply the stained glass texture to. Its slow going...

Below are: 
The storyboard Rough Shot
The New Maya Model For Test
Lighting/Material Test in Mental Ray






2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    If you are looking to create a quick but realistic glass material. Have a look at the mia_x material. Another one to look at is the dgs_material. Both will produce a good glass material with a bit of tinkering. However, you could use a standrd Blinn or Phong, making sure you turn refractions on and set the refractive index to between 1.5 and 1.7 (average index of glass). These will also produce a decent glass material. Be aware though, Mental Ray specific materials take much longer to render.

    Feel free to drop me an email if you have any problems.

    Best.
    P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D Thanks Pat! Ill be testing it out over the next few weeks and may well drop you an email. Good advice as ever, hope to see you at degree show! X

    ReplyDelete